top of page
external-file_edited.jpg
Harvey School #10 mobile -PLAIN (370 x 150 px).png
CA-Recorder-Mobile-CR-2025[54].jpg
external-file_edited.jpg
Support Local Journalism Banner 1000x150.jpg

More delays ahead for Preston Way Bridge bids

  • 3 hours ago
  • 3 min read

By MARTIN WILBUR

The New York State Department of Transportation has requested a design change for the Preston Way bridge in Mount Kisco, delaying the village’s ability to put the project out to bid for up to a month.

Village Manager Ed Brancati informed trustees this week that the agency had asked for a change in the design of the bridge’s abutments, even though the DOT has had the plans for five years and granted design approval earlier this year. The village’s engineering consultants, Anthony Oliveri and AI Engineers, are working on the revision. It is hoped that within two weeks the updated design can be sent to DOT and the department can quickly accept the changes so the village can bid the span’s reconstruction.

“We’re working to get it out as quickly as we can and to get everything the DOT has asked for back to them so we can get that out and get a good number and continue to move forward with the bridge,” Brancati said. “So that is a delay. Again, it was at the DOT’s request. We are working with them to try and accommodate what they’ve asked for.”

During the past few months Brancati had been pointing to May 18 as the target date to send out the bid. He had hoped the village would award the bid by July and to start construction later this summer. Earlier this year, construction was projected to last 12 to 14 months.

The Preston Way bridge, which goes over the Metro-North tracks, has been closed to vehicles and pedestrians since Dec. 3, 2025. At that time, DOT informed local officials of its structural defects, necessitating the span being shut until it is replaced. For years, Mount Kisco, the state and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority have squabbled over the expense, ownership and what entity is responsible for the bridge’s reconstruction.

When the last cost estimate for the bridge replacement was released at the start of 2024, it was about $8.6 million. It is now expected to be higher but officials have been reluctant to discuss an updated price tag until they receive the bids.

Trustee Tom Luzio asked Brancati if there was anything the village could do to speed the process. He also asked that the engineers provide an update to the board on the design until the village is ready to go out to bid.

The board authorized Brancati last month to progress with going out to bid when the village is able to do so.

“I would expect that nothing has changed so that when you can, you won’t need to come back before us again,” Luzio said.

Brancati confirmed that everything is in place to go out to bid once they receive the go-ahead from DOT.

“AI, the village staff is doing everything that we can do as quickly as we can to get DOT what they need to let us move forward,” he said.

The board authorized Brancati last month to progress with going out to bid when the village is able to do so.

Pedestrian access considered

Brancati also disclosed that the village has once again requested DOT reconsider opening the Preston Way bridge to pedestrians only. The department requested that Mount Kisco ask its engineers to perform additional analysis to confirm whether it was possible to achieve that goal.

Some residents who walk to the shopping center that contains Target and Stop & Shop don’t have cars or live at Pinecrest Manor, which is within walking distance of those stores, creating a hardship for them.

PepsiCo 230x600.jpg
bottom of page